The bilingual education of children is increasingly important to parents. There are various strategies to get involved as parents in the bilingual education of children, which can be summarized as 6 essential tips for children to grow up bilingual. All of them are part of the system that we follow to organize the bilingual education of our children, which is based on bilingual activities and methods that should not only be followed at school, but also at home.
1. The moment. One of the most important data when we talk about bilingual education is the age of the children. It is proven that the sooner we start with our strategy, the better results we will achieve. In addition, it will be much easier to teach a second language to children when they are young. They acquire both languages naturally.
2. The strategy. It is important to be involved with bilingual education. It is not enough that we organize ourselves and create an action strategy. If one of the parents is able to speak in English naturally (even if they do not speak perfect English) we will decide how long to speak to them in English, or if it is all the time. If we do not want to always speak to the child in English, we can divide the time by zones or activities, (for example when we are in the classroom I speak to them in English and outside in Spanish). Children should have their routines because in addition to being good for them, it helps them better assimilate knowledge. If we do not have the possibility to speak to you in English, we must study the possibilities that our city offers us, nurseries, workshops, babysitters ...
3. Listen. The child must be immersed in English for a large part of his time, always exceeding 25 percent of the time he spends awake. Within this time it is not included that you are listening to songs in English, since if they are not enhanced they will not have any result.
4. Gesture. Young children learn to speak and understand through relationship. If they hear a word and do not relate it to anything they will never know what it is. That is why gesticulation is so important when it comes to bilingual education. We must facilitate teaching as much as possible, so that the child is able to relate the words we are saying with their meanings, as well as when we say toilet we must point to water, or if we say car we can also pretend we are driving.
This is the reason why children do not learn a language only by listening to music, since they have nothing to relate it to, we must rely on dances and gestures so that children associate the meanings of words.
4. Repetition. Children love to repeat what they like, in fact the recognition of something already lived is a great satisfaction for children. We must repeat in all aspects, when we say a phrase we can repeat the keyword several times while making a gesture at the same time, this helps the child a lot to remember it.
5. Intelligence bits or educational cards. It is a system that has been used in the world for more than 50 years for learning in children in all senses from mathematics to languages. It is based on a series of picture cards. For languages, what we do with them is to reinforce the vocabulary in the child, through the relationship and repetition that we spoke before. It is also an activity that children love.
6. Playful. It is scientifically proven that human beings, whether they are babies or adults, find it much easier to learn while doing an activity that is fun and entertaining, such as play. This has many logical explanations among them that when we are doing something that interests and amuses us, our brain is used and more focused on the activity without having hardly any distractions.
You can read more articles similar to 6 essential tips for children to grow up bilingual, in the Language category on site.